Welcome to the Canton Public Schools!
All children of school age who reside in the district are entitled to attend public school in the district.
Registration for students in grades Pre-K through 12 occurs through an on-line registration process. If you do not have access to a computer, please visit the Canton Public Library or contact your school office for assistance. Students and families experiencing homelessness should contact the district office at 860-693-7704.
Children between the ages of 5 and 18 are required to attend school. Connecticut law requires public schools to be open to all children who reach age 5 on or before January 1, 2024.
Beginning in school year 2024-2025, a child must have turned 5 years old on or before September 1 in order to be automatically eligible for Kindergarten, a change from past practice with a kindergarten cutoff birthdate of January 1. (Child born on or between September 2, 2018, and September 1, 2019, OR child was born between September 2, 2017, and September 1, 2018, and has no previous schooling). Read more about the change in Kindergarten age requirements here.
For information on registering your child for Kindergarten, please see the Kindergarten Registration page.
Children who reside in Canton and fall into any of the following categories are required to register with the Canton Public Schools, regardless of whether they attend school in Canton:
- New students enrolling in the Canton Public Schools for the first time
- Incoming 2023-2024 Kindergarten students
- Students re-enrolling or returning to the Canton Public Schools (e.g., from magnet school, private school, out of state/country, homeschooling, etc.) At a minimum, updated residency verification is required to be on file in the Canton Public Schools offices; other forms may also be required
- Students who live in Canton and are attending a magnet, technical or Vo-Ag school. Residency verification is required to be on file in the Canton Public Schools offices.
- Students age 7+ who are receiving Home Instruction, or students age 5 or 6 not attending school due to an exemption. Forms must be sent to the Superintendent's office, as noted.
How Do I Register My Child(ren)?
Gather all of the documents needed to verify child's age, parent's identification, and Canton residency.
- Child's proof of age (provide one of the following):
- Long-form Birth Certificate
- CT State issued identification document or passport
- Parent/Guardian ID (provide one of the following):
- Driver's License
- CT State ID card or Passport
- Health Assessment Record/Immunizations
- Proof of Residency
Complete the online Pre-Enrollment Student Information Form. If you are registering more than one student, please complete a separate Pre-Enrollment Form for each child.
Once you have completed the one-page enrollment form, you will need to check your email for a confirmation message that includes instructions to complete Step 3. Please allow 72 hours for processing.
Your confirmation message will include instructions to create a Parent Portal account. Create your account and complete the online registration forms for your new student. You will need to scan and upload your required documents. How to scan documents with your phone.
*If you already have an existing student enrolled in Canton Public Schools, and a current Parent Portal account, you can log in and add your new student to the existing account with the access code and ID found in the email.
After the documents have been reviewed, the registrar will confirm receipt and give you instructions for next steps.
Other documents you may need:
- Custodial agreement
- IEP and/or 504 documentation
- Previous school records
- Residency Declaration Form (Certification of Residency)