Pay to Participate Information (Board of Education Policy #5139)
The Canton Board of Education, for this school year, determined that athletes will have a Pay to Participate Fee that is based off of the Tier System. Every sport, with the exception of esports, golf, ice hockey and football will have a fee of $125/athlete per sport with a family cap of $375. Esports and golf's fee will be determined once the number of participants is determined. Football is $225 and ice hockey will be determined by the host schools in the co-op (Newington for boys and Suffield for girls)
The fees, which are collected by the Board of Education, fund the full cost of the Athletic Trainer and equipment/reconditioning/awards costs. Families experiencing financial need, may request a waiver of fees from the Athletic Director or High School Principal. These instances will remain confidential. No student will be denied participation in a sport due to financial constraints.
This fee does not include any additional costs an athletic team requires students to pay that are not funded through the operating budget (i.e., items such as softball/baseball caps).
Fees assessed for football will be given to the Friends of Football Booster Club organization to support their budgets.
- The fees will be collected prior to the first scheduled regular season competition.
- The fee should be handed in to the athletic office or completed online. If you have any questions, please call 860-693-7713.
- Checks should be made out to Canton Board of Education with the memo stating student's name and sport.
- Students will not be eligible to participate in competition until the fee is paid or a financial assistance waiver is submitted.
- If financial assistance is needed, you must file an application for assistance with the High School Main Office. Your application will be reviewed by district personnel and you will be contacted if further information is needed.
Other forms and links: