From the Principal
As we begin to start wrapping up the school year, I wanted to provide a quick update in the four major priority areas that we have focused upon at Cherry Brook Primary School this year. While the hard data is still being compiled and with 40+ days of school remaining, the early reports show it has been a successful year thus far. Below is a brief list of the priority areas and major new action steps incorporated this year.
Priority area: Students will improve in literacy.
- Revamp and reinforce students Word Work (phonics, phonemic awareness, encoding, vocabulary, etc.)
- Focus with Teacher’s College Staff Developers:
- Enhancing Speaking and Listening skills through:
- Interactive Read Alouds and Video Alouds
- Grand Discussions
- Comprehension Beyond the Retell
Priority area: Students will improve in numeracy.
- Implementation of Bridges Mathematics Program
- Implementation of Bridges Intervention Program
Priority area: Students will have more experiences with STEM.
- Reorganization of Media Center space
- Integration of Chromebook use in 1st grade
- Integration of tablets in Kindergarten
Priority area: Students will be kind.
- Adoption and practice of school wide expectations
- Be Kind
- Be Safe
- Be Responsible
- Use of “High Fives” for positive reinforcement
- Use of Incident Referral Forms for analysis of areas to improve social conduct
This information is a summary of a presentation I was happy to share at the April 18 Board of Education meeting. During that presentation, there were examples of math lessons and pictures that better described our progress. If you are interested in more information, feel free to contact me.